Get a green card through marriage quickly and successfully.

Green Card Case Status

Due to the numerous steps and applications filed with a typical green card through marriage application, it's always a good idea to stay on top of your green card case status and any relevant updates that may be issued by USCIS. Of course, Lightman Law Firm will always track your green card case status and immediately inform you of any updates, but nonetheless it is always recommended that you follow your case separately with USCIS. Once your receipt notices arrive in connection with all the filings submitted with your case, you can begin to attempt to track the various parts of your green card case through the following two methods:

Green Card Case Status - Telephone Tracking

  • Call USCIS at (800)375-5283
  • Follow the prompts to speak to a live officer
  • Provide the operator with the "Case Type" you are calling about (e.g. I-130, I-485, I-765 and/or I-131) and the "Receipt Number" for your case (starts with "MSC", is followed by 10 numbers, and is found in the upper left corner of your receipt notice)
  • You can also provide the officer with your "USCIS Alien Number" or "A#", which is found on the top right of the Forms I-485, I-765 and I-131 and begins with an "A" and is followed by 9 numbers
  • Provide the officer with relevant information about you, such as your name, date of birth, address, and similar information about your spouse

It's important to note that the officer that you discuss your case with will only be able to provide you with very limited information, such as the following: your work authorization and/or advance parole has been approved; your biometrics have been accepted; your mail was returned as undeliverable; your interview notice has been sent out; your case has been approved; your case is still pending; etc. The officer will not have any further information and will not be able answer very specific questions regarding your green card case status.

Calling USCIS as per the above is also necessary if your residential address should change at any point during the process. If this occurs, you will want to follow the instructions above and notify the USCIS officer about all of your applications that are pending.

Green Card Case Status - Online Tracking

Tracking your green card case status online is very easy. You can create an account online with USCIS and register your cases to receive automatic email and/or text messages when there is a status update on your green card through marriage application, or you can do one-time checks using the receipt numbers of your applications at your convenience. See the following for steps on both of these options:

  • To do a one-time check without creating an account, go to and enter your receipt number (starts with "MSC", is followed by 10 numbers, and is found in the upper left corner of your receipt notice) for the case you want to check (I-130, I-485, I-765 and/or I-131) in the box and click on "Check Status"
  • If you would like to register an account online to receive automatic email and/or text updates on your case, go to and click on "Register as an applicant customer"
  • Click "Accept" on the following screen
  • Create your account on the the next screen and click "Submit"
  • You will then be given an opportunity to register each of your cases (I-130, I-485, I-765 and/or I-131) with their respective receipt numbers (remember, each case has it's own receipt number) and receive updates via email and/or text message
  • After creating your portfolio of cases, it's important that you check the box next to each case and request email alerts and/or mobile alerts otherwise you will not receive these alerts

It's important to note that the online system is not without its glitches. For example, for no apparent reason many cases may not be found online within the first few weeks of receiving the receipt notices or ever at all. It's suspected that this occurs through a failure of a USCIS employee to properly register the case online at the beginning of the process. If your case cannot be found online, the only way to receive updates will be by calling USCIS. Also, notifications/updates produced online are not always 100% accurate. The systems has occasionally produced erroneous and/or repetitive notifications for many cases. If there's any doubt as to your green card case status, the best thing to do is call USCIS as per the instructions above.

Free Evaluation by Lightman Law Firm LLC - Get a Green Card through Marriage

We'll explain the process and time frame, and outline exactly what you need to prepare... and what you can expect. There's no obligation.

Green Card Marriage Quick Contact Form


Lightman Law LLC. Client Feedbacks

Excellent...swift response...comes out with the best result...I highly recommend Mr. Lightman...
Krishna Green Card Feedback

Diligent work and attorney-client relationship should be...thank you for helping me...
Ivan Green Card Feedback

Great job! I can confidently say Lightman law firm is the best one. Will never overcharge you, will never overlook any tiny details which others may easily miss...
FS Green Card Feedback

When looking for a lawyer to handle our case, it was very important to find someone who was most of all respectful, forthright and competent. We found all those qualities in Doug...
LB SJ Green Card Feedback

I was impressed throughout the process with their ability to answer my questions quickly and in detail, to execute all necessary paperwork efficiently and accurately...
KB Green Card Feedback